melbourne coronavirus lockdown

Melbourne, Australia’s second-biggest city, has gone into stage-four lockdown after reporting a new spike of coronavirus infections.
The new lockdown restrictions include an overnight curfew from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. and banning residents from travelling more than 3 miles (5km) from their home.
The curfew and new lockdown measures will remain in place until at least September 13, although state officials have said that the six weeks curfew could be shortened.
Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

A new spike in coronavirus cases has prompted Australia’s second-biggest city, Melbourne, to go into a stage-four lockdown. Restrictions include an overnight curfew and banning residents from travelling more than 3 miles (5 km) from their home.

The curfew in Melbourne — the capital of the southeastern state of Victoria — will come into effect as of Sunday evening and will last for at least six weeks, the state premier Daniel Andrews announced Sunday morning.

Andrews also declared a state of disaster in Victoria for the first time since the bushfires that devastated the region earlier this year.

“We can no longer have people simply out and about for no good reason whatsoever,” Andrews said on Sunday, according to the Guardian.

“It is not an easy decision to make but it is necessary and that’s why I’ve made it and that’s why police will be out in force and you will be stopped and you will be asked and need to demonstrate that you are lawfully out and you are not breaching that curfew,” he added.

Under the new restrictions, Melbourne residents will only be allowed to go shopping for essentials and exercise within 3 miles of their home. Exercise outside the home will be restricted to once a day, for one hour at a time.

A regional stage-three lockdown means that all restaurants, bars, shops, and …read more

Source:: Business Insider

      

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *