A firefighter battles a house fire in Bountiful on Tuesday, Jan. 14, 2020. | Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Home is likely a total loss, but two residents escape without injury
BOUNTIFUL — Fire fueled by propane tanks destroyed a Bountiful home Tuesday afternoon.
About 3 p.m., numerous callers reported a house on fire about 350 West and 3400 South. South Davis Metro Fire Chief Jeff Bassett said when crews arrived a few minutes later, they found heavy smoke pouring out of the house, where the fast-moving flames had shattered windows.
“The structure was well involved,” Bassett said. “All of the windows were broken out, doors were open. Unfortunately, the front door was also open, which allowed for a clear vent through the house.”
Firefighters initially attacked the flames by entering through the front of the house and from the back of the house, but the situation quickly forced them to change strategies.
“Just as our crews were going to the rear of the house, those tanks exploded,” Bassett said of five propane tanks being stored at the back of the home. “They just knew we had a dangerous situation in trying to knock that fire down.”
Following the blast, instead of going after the flames from inside, firefighters had to battle the blaze from outside in what Bassett called a defensive strategy.
“The back of the house was fully engulfed,” Bassett said, “and we had multiple propane bottles exploding in the back.”
Two people were inside the house, and firefighters were able to get them out without any injuries, although they were having trouble locating one of the pets that lived in the home.
Crews were on the scene for several hours Tuesday and planned to investigate into Wednesday. There were a number of issues that complicated efforts to douse the blaze.
“We only have a four-inch …read more
Source:: Deseret News – Utah News