Pfizer is one of the most generous corporate supporters of lawmakers behind the political movement to criminalize abortion.
Healthcare companies funded lawmakers behind state abortion bans set to go into effect if Roe falls.
Pharmaceutical companies that make abortion drugs have bankrolled efforts to criminalize abortion.
While medical associations backed such lawmakers, members could risk felony charges under the bans.
The pharmaceutical giant Pfizer has made strides toward gender equality in the workplace in recent years, announcing a global study in 2019 that showed men and women at the company received the same pay for the same work. Two years later, the company hired a chief diversity, equity, and inclusion officer.
As a business, Pfizer has created products that are essential for reproductive health. It markets contraceptives as well as Cytotec, a drug that assists patients in expelling an embryo or fetus from the uterus during an abortion or miscarriage.
Despite this profile, Pfizer is one of the most generous corporate supporters of lawmakers behind the political movement to criminalize abortion, an Insider investigation has found. It’s one of dozens of companies and associations in the healthcare sector that have given money to politicians behind so-called trigger laws that will ban abortion in 13 states if Roe v. Wade is overturned.
Full coverage of Insider’s investigation into abortion-ban “trigger laws”:
• The 13 states with abortion-ban ‘trigger laws’ are completely unprepared to enforce them
• A likely wave of state abortion bans was bankrolled by corporations, such as Walmart and Citi
• AT&T has bankrolled politicians behind anti-abortion ‘trigger laws’ in 13 states. Other telecom and media giants aren’t far behind.
• Wall Street wants to shed its reputation as a boys’ club. But it spent hundreds of thousands backing anti-abortion lawmakers.
• Behind a looming wave …read more
Source:: Business Insider